Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hump Day Hook - Week 2


My Hump Day Hook for the week  comes from my January 1 release, Message from Viola Mari, published by Extasy Books. Meteorite scientist Marissa Jones is presenting her latest research at a conference in Prague. After her session, she decompresses with a stroll through the historic city.

I explored the narrow cobblestone streets, stopping first at Old Town Square to see the Orloj, a medieval astronomical clock. Gathering crowds gazed up the face of Old Town City Hall’s ancient stone wall, waiting for the top of the hour, when the Apostles and other moving sculptures stepped out of the clock. Every street in Old Town offered a different surprise. Above arches, beneath pillars and along many of the buildings’ ancient rooftops, shirtless men with rippling muscles flexed and dresses draped fleshy, curvy women. All the statues looked like superheroes—the men’s chests and abdomens were perfectly chiseled and the women’s dresses looked like capes or wings. I admired their fortitude. I imagined myself standing on top of a building, the wind rustling my wings, rather than my jacket. Now my reality is fantasy. A blissful laugh escaped my lips and echoed through the narrow cobblestone corridor.


I walked back to the hotel and ventured into the noisy hotel bar, slipped off my jacket and hung it over the back of a chair. I ordered a Chardonnay and glanced around the smoke-filled room. A moment later, the bartender set a wine glass down in front of me with a clink and asked if I’d like to start a tab.
“Let me pick this one up.” A broad-shouldered blond man plunked down in the chair beside me and leaned in my direction. “And please bring me a glass of Schnapps.” He straightened his dark gray jacket and gazed at me.
“Have we met before?” The Nordic man with the sexy bass voice looked vaguely familiar.
“Stefan Andersson. We met briefly last year at the Stockholm conference.”
“Oh, yes. I recall your fascinating presentation on SNC meteorites.” I noticed how his muscular thighs pleasantly filled out his tweed slacks.
“Well, thank you, Miss Jones. I’m quite flattered. But I didn’t come over to discuss meteorites.” His gaze dropped down toward my breasts and he licked his lips.
“Really?” I sat up a little straighter in my chair, pulling my jacket lapels in toward each other. “So what did you want to discuss, Mr. Andersson?” I tugged my skirt down a little lower when his blue eyes drifted from my bust line to my calves.

You can read Hump Day Hooks by other authors by following this link. If you enjoyed this excerpt from MESSAGE FROM VIOLA MARI and would like to read more, you can order it on Amazon.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope she lets the Nordic man have his way ;) great hook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! My name is Mandy or meryvamp, and I'm new to HDH. Just wanted to drop in and say hi... and leave you a comment :)

    What a lustful man. I can't wait to see what happens next. Nice cliffhanger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mandy,
      I'm glad you're joining the fun! Thanks for visiting and I look forward to reading your hook, too!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for the warm welcome :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely description of the city. I could almost visualize it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen. Prague is such an amazing city - I couldn't help bringing it into one of my books!

      Delete
  4. Just one paragraph please. And i promise you will get a lot more commenters x I read the last paragraph and i loved it x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great snippet - and I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy. And the Extasy Books cover artists do a fine job I think. I like the cover they did for THE OPEN WATER SWIMMER, too!

      Delete
  6. Yes, what does he want to discuss. Great hook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the last two sentences of the first paragraph, and - mercy - you can't beat a hot Nordic guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonder what he does want to discuss. ;) Good hook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe he doesn't want to discuss meteorites, but I think I see some sparks and shooting stars in their future! Great hook!

    ReplyDelete